Saturday, January 8, 2011

myth #1

Wedding dress shopping is nothing like "Say Yes to the Dress...."
and if you are a bride that says it is you must have really good luck and a great group of friends and family that agree with everything you try on ;)

So, about a week after Kyle and I got engaged of course my sister (who is my "MOH") jump the gun because we were so excited and made an appointment to go dress shopping! I've always had this idea in my head that it was going to be like "Say Yes to the Dress" and feel like I was shopping in Kleinfeld's... Well not so much! It was definitly one of the best days out of ALL the wedding planning I have done though. First, I thought I'd always wear this certain dress and of course when I found 3 of them I loved I tried them on and they looked awful.... AWFUL (Funny how that works out!) So, I let the ladies help me at the Bridal store (not putting names of places or people ;)) and they didn't have a clue what I liked or disliked.. They just want you to buy a dress (at this particular store) But I do have to say when my Mom started pulling dresses and throwing them in the dressing room (kinda like in a movie everyone is all excited telling me to try this one, no try this one, no get this one.. ) so it was a pretty neat moment. At the end of the day I DID in fact find "THE" Wedding Dress :) Thanks to my Mom.... <3 Lovely Mothers! Anywho.... the whole point of this "Myth" is I always thought I'd put on a dress and start tearing up and say "Yes Yes Yes this is it!" But in fact I didn't... I absolutely love my dress- I dream of it and definitly wish I could wear it around the house and out with friends or to work or just lay in it haha- but I did want that really neat moment of "Yes this is the dress" so Ladies.... Don't expect to have that moment as soon as you put one on and fall in love with it because it's okay if you dislike something or wish to add to your dress (it's possible!) and if you do, GREAT (More power to you!) but if you DON'T.. Don't be like me and start 2nd guessing yourself and thinking it really isn't the "dress" ... it's just that TV Shows aren't realistic :) So on a great note... After getting my dress altered and changing and adding a few things I definitly cried the moment I put my dress on and walked out of the dressing room and showed my mom... So maybe I did have my "Yes to the Dress" moment ;) AFTER the fact of course!

One more note... I always thought I'd wear WHITE but sure enough white didn't look the greatest on me (I am a little pale white girl from the south) so I went with IVORY and I'm so happy I did :) But I've always wanted to know the meaning behind "Bride in White" so I looked it up... Here's a little lesson.

Wearing WhiteThe bride wearing white has been a symbol of purity and virginity for years but there is also a myth behind this ritual. Wearing white is said to ward off any evil spirits that may be surrounding the bride on her big day.

also... any brides out there that are like me and wish to wear your dress around the house or out in public or just because you really love it and you spent all that money on a dress you'll only wear once... this is why you shouldn't. this seriously made me LAUGH! :)

Wearing Wedding AttireThe bride is said to be doomed if she wears her complete wedding outfit before the big day. The consequences of such an action can lead to heartbreak and tragedy.



My Sister and I on the day I found my dress :)

No comments:

Post a Comment