Monday, January 10, 2011

myth #2

You don't get to pick your "date" ... The Venue chooses it for you!
Picking your special day can work one of two ways-You pick it and don't get the Venue you've always dreamed of or the Venue picks your special day.
Our luck... our Venue, Cotton Dock at Boone Hall Plantation, picked for us :)
Who gets married in February? No offense brides who are getting married in February or have been married that month but February was NOT the month I wanted to get married. But, when you go and start looking at Venues you start falling in love and start imagining the most amazing, beautiful, spring day with a slight breeze, no rain, no overcast, and no chance of a "snow day.." (that's our luck in Charleston) and I pray that February 19 is not another chance of snow and ice storm :) Of course we could have picked another Venue to have this most amazing Spring wedding but once I looked at Boone Hall I absolutely fell in love! I've always wanted to get married in a little white church like in all the movies and country songs Little White Church :) 

Kinda like this one!

and I wanted to have a "Rustic" wedding theme so I could wear my cowboy boots and totally get away with it... and for those who will be attending my wedding, I guess you'll just have to wait and see if I follow through with that! Back to why we picked February 19th.. Once my Mom and lovely soon to be hubby went and checked out the Cotton Dock, Boone Hall (btw the cotton dock is pretty much a barn with a dock on the water) they knew why I loved it so much and luckily a wedding was going on so my Mom (who if you know her started coming up with so many neat ideas) knew it was "THE" right Venue :) So, the next day we make our way back and meet with the ladies who have the big binder of "The Available Dates" ... it was kind of intimidating! You're sitting there imagining that beautiful Spring day when she says "Well, we have February or December" and right away I laugh and say well December is way too soon (remember, this is in May!) and she says "Oh no no December of 2011..." I just froze. 2011!!??? So I let her tell me what dates are available.... and sure enough all the Saturdays for the year 2011 are taken... our choice was February 19, 2011 or December something (didn't even ask) but of course Fridays are the "newest" day to get married so there were a ton of Fridays available... but I just never ever imagined I would be getting married on a Friday, my luck the only available date would have been Friday the 13th ;) (you gotta find humor or you'll go nuts!) So, I went home and asked Kyle what he thought and he said well what's the date in February and I said the 19th :) He smiles and says well, Kady the 18th would be our 7 years of dating (yes, 7 years prior to 2.18.11 we started dating, but took a few breaks!) I thought it was super sweet but still a little cliche. Lonnng blog, short... We picked the date February 19, 2011 not because it was the day after our so called "7 years" but because it was the ONLY Saturday of 2011 until December! I am super happy with my date because not only will it not be BLISTERING hot and not everyones make up melting off their faces and all the guys won't be sweating to death but vendors aren't super busy so that's where you get to pick exactly who you want ;) and usually get a little bit of a better deal (price wise) because February isn't a busy wedding month.

So, Myth #2 ... Just because you can't pick the exact date with your "Dream Venue" you will have a better chance of settling for a different date to get all the amazing vendors for your special day :) and of course for those brides who did get to pick their exact date to their "dream venue" and still got all the amazing vendors... Kudos to you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment